- Hits: 595
WHAT TO DO INFORMATION
For: HEAVY RAIN AND FLOODING
CAUTION: Continuous heavy rain can cause flash flood, river flood to low lying areas, coastal flooding, landslide, mudslides, and very low visibility and if it goes with strong winds then it can also cause rough seas.
People are advised to take this 'HEAVY RAIN AND FLOODING WHAT TO DO INFORMATION' seriously.
FOR VILLAGE LEADERS AND FAMILIES
- Listen to your radio for emergency information – SIBC, FM, HF radio
- Inform your neighbours and vulnerable people about the current advice
- If Flood risk increases, Activate Response Plans and move to Safe Area
FOR PEOPLE LIVING CLOSE TO RIVERS AND AREAS UNDER THE THREAT OF FLOODING
- Keep together important items like radio, mobile phones, torch, knife, food, water, important papers, and important medicines ready to take with you to Safe Area when evacuating.
- Store drinking water in sealed bottles as water supply may be interrupted (e.g. Dirty or supply cut off)
- Do not allow children to play in the rain and on flood rising water or drainage Areas
- If Flood risk increases, Activate your community and family Response Plans and move to Safe Area
- Take extra care when travelling on wet, slippery and flood roads
- Beware of water covered roads and bridges
- Make sure you have your lights on and drive at less than 40km per hour speed
- Double the distance you leave between your car and the car in front of you as stopping distance are increased by wet roads
- Do not attempt to cross flowing rivers and large streams of unknown depth
FOR BOATS AND SHIPPING
- Mariners are advise to be extra caution when planning or travelling out in the sea
- Avoid travelling at all if you can
- When going out in the sea , always inform someone of where about you are going and your expected time of travel
- Take extra fuel, puddles, life-jackets, torch-light, spare batteries, water and some food when travelling.
# # # #